Photo

sat nav sound

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ctheo

ctheo

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

ive just replaced the head unit in my 2007 xten, does anyone know of a way to connect the in built sat unit to sound through the new head unit

#2 Blastertrev

Blastertrev
  • LocationSunny Cumbria (NOT)

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

It'll all depend on which head unit you've got and whether it has the appropriate inputs.

May the Foz be with you....

#3 ctheo

ctheo

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

is there a head unit that will have the input you mention

#4 TMX

TMX
  • LocationSussex

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Assuming you have the factory nav on 2004-2007 Forester with the nav in the top pod, I went through this myself.

You basically have 2, well 3 options

1) Do nothing and live with no sound The sat nav will still show the maps and directions on the screen etc

2) Instal an external speaker you can hide somewhere. The last time I looked it was $80USD and tricky to source so I didn't bother.

3) You can wire it to your headunit, however the HU will have to be in the correct mode for it to work. Meaning you can't have the radio playing etc, then have the directions mute the radio, tell you when to turn, then unmute the radio.

Instead you'd have to have a CD that has a silent song you get the HU to play on repeat over and over, only then, the directions can be made to go through the HU. If you change from the CD mode to something else, you lose the sound. You also have to get handy with a soldering iron from memory.

There's a write up about it on the other Forester forum. - I'll try and find a link.

MY05 2.5XT

#5 ctheo

ctheo

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

thanks

sounds like a pain ill make do without the sound 

#6 Blastertrev

Blastertrev
  • LocationSunny Cumbria (NOT)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

It might just be worth going to a good car audio install place and asking whether they know of a head unit that has the required remote switching to integrate with your Sat Nav: all you need is an external control input that switches the audio feed to the aux input when the Nav gives an instruction. We used to supply such a system to Bentley, the switching was actually done in the power amp module, however that was 15x90W and under CANbus control so not easy to integrate into a Foz   :sad:

PS On second thoughts having a silent sat nav, though it requires more looking at the screen (potentially dangerous) would be far less annoying. I HATE the things, they're like having a nagging wife in the car, even one of those might cook you supper when you get home.

PPS I notice that Alpine do some head units with the facility to connect an external SatNav. Whether it would work with the one in th XTen I don't know.

May the Foz be with you....

#7 TMX

TMX
  • LocationSussex

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

Here's some links if you want to try and make it work:

http://www.subarufor...t-satnav-56374/ and follow the links in there

http://ae64.com/20-pin-pinout.htm

This guy did make it work but used an external speaker: http://www.subarufor...g-again-533153/

MY05 2.5XT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users