Vf28?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Blastertrev

Blastertrev
  • LocationSunny Cumbria (NOT)

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

Phenolic spacers. Arnt they a bit of a snake oil product?

Nooooo, they'll just be temperature resistant* and insulating - I guess the idea is to keep the manifold as cool as poss. to stop undoing the work of the intercooler, like the header tank isolation mod.

So there you have it folks. All systems go WOOP WOOP

All systems go then, I guess there'll be much clinking of spanners in Elland in the next few weeks  :good:  :good:  :good:

*FYI phenolic binders are often used in such things as brake pads & clutches as they're pretty heat resistant   :ph34r:

May the Foz be with you....

#42 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

Nooooo, they'll just be temperature resistant* and insulating - I guess the idea is to keep the manifold as cool as poss. to stop undoing the work of the intercooler, like the header tank isolation mod.

All systems go then, I guess there'll be much clinking of spanners in Elland in the next few weeks  :good:  :good:  :good:

*FYI phenolic binders are often used in such things as brake pads & clutches as they're pretty heat resistant   :ph34r:

Cheers for the info mate :)
And what is this header tank isolation mod? Google time lol. More mods, luv it.

As for the spanners well unfortunately work is kicking my @ss time wise and I go on damn holiday. Silly non forester related activities :( but I'm sure Cape Verde can put a smile on my face lol. I'm positively leaking money everywhere at the moment too which is bloody annoying. I swear the more of it I make the less of it I seem to have to spend how the hell does that work then eh? Just going to keep picking bits up as I go along and then blitz it all in a oner. Not even got any of my suspension or bushing mods done yet lol. I was keen to get a few bits done before the MOT but I found a very friendly tester so no real rush there either now. What with my time constraints etc i think it's going to end up being a mad dash type of affair. One day it will just be good old man forester then it'll break from cover a few days later a completely different beast :)

It will be so worth it in the end tho. I'm getting so excited lmao I'm like a big kid with a toy lol

#43 stants

stants

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'll show you the header tank mod tonight mate, where abouts in Verde are you going ? Went a couple of years back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#44 dnok

dnok

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

Sweet :)

We going to Boa Vista island stopping at riu toureg. 5 star all inclusive ftw :) it's looks beautiful. Only thing is we booked it and then realised we going to Africa in July lmao it's gunna be scorching. Oops lol. Reckon I'll be fine, maybe a bit of factor 50 on the melanoma just to be safe lol. It's the kids and wife who will suffer. My wife's one of those who is either too hot and moaning or too cold and moaning, she likes a good moan and the kids struggle with a hot day over here so god knows what they will be like! Ah the joys of family holidays. Think I'm guna book a week in the canaries for September to get over this holiday pmsl

#45 dnok

dnok

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'll show you the header tank mod tonight mate, where abouts in Verde are you going ? Went a couple of years back Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ordered some 8mm thick ptfe sheet and some stainless steel hardware to make my own relocation spacers. £7.47 all in lol. Cheers for the heads up on the mod been doing some reading up and it does actually seem to make a difference.

#46 stockcar

stockcar
  • Locationthe grim north

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

we manufacture/supply the Carl Davey Design versions and they are only approx £20inc./posted.............

asperformance  / 0191-4103770

E-shop

MOTUL, EXEDY, FERODO, MILLERS OILS, AP RACING, TRS, PAGID, PERFORMANCE FRICTION, BREMBO, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, POWERFLEX and the list goes on................

#47 stants

stants

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

No worries mate, good to meet you the other night, Gonna be tip top when finished,

#48 dnok

dnok

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

Yeah seen em for even less than that and still using 8 or 10mm thick ptfe but I just fancied the challenge of knocking them up myself and for £7 I couldn't resist :)

My build bill keeps expanding all the time lol. After a good read round I'm very interested in doing phenolic spacers when I do the tgv deletes. Noticed icp do a tgv delete kit which is complete tgv housing etc and claims to be all original parts so I'm presuming they are sti housings. It comes with gaskets, bolts etc for £150. Weighing up the pros and cons of everything and the alternitives this seems like a good solution. Slightly more money but not a vast amount and a lot cheaper than RCM's. Couple those with the grimmspeed phenolic 3mm spacers and an extra pair of tgv to block gaskets (so as to sandwich the phenolic between two original gaskets, better fit apparently) and you have the seemingly perfect setup. It's added a reasonable chunk of money on to things but I suppose as the old saying goes if your going to do something you may as well do it right.

Does anyone else get the feeling I'm going to get carried away with this build and still be doing it next year pmsl. I'm either going to end up with one hell of an XT or one hell of a stock list of parts hahaha.

#49 dnok

dnok

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

No worries mate, good to meet you the other night, Gonna be tip top when finished, Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You too mate. Shame about the cherry picker tho lol

#50 stants

stants

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Got there in the morning it was still parked across the door :angry:

#51 dnok

dnok

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

The 8mm PTFE arrived. Man this stuff is going to be easy to work with! Not started them yet as in true dnok style life is running me ragged and time is of a premium at the moment. I did however decide to cut a piece off to show you how easy it is.
Posted Image

You can literally push a Stanley knife through the stuff to cut your blocks to size. I then experimented at smoothing the edges with a sharp blade between finger and thumb and rounding the ends with a rasp file. Works perfectly.

I'll post some pics when I've done it which might not be for a few weeks :( but I reckon anyone who could tie a shoe lace could make these lol and for less than £7.50 why wouldn't you lol

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

#52 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

I can see my MeisterR box! :)

Like the idea with the ptfe. Interested to see how it turns out.

Have a good holiday. Hope your lad is getting better.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#53 dnok

dnok

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

Ha yeah that's as far as I got with the pedders kit. It made it to storage and that's it lol.

As for the PTFE yeah I'll do a write up on how I do it with pics etc incase anyone else fancies a go and yeah the lads loads better cheers mate

#54 dnok

dnok

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

He walking round on his pot like nothing wrong with him lol. Hopefully they going to cut it to bellow the knee the day before we go :)

#55 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

That's good news mate.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users