Which tmic?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

Cheap dongles from the bay work fine mate, If your in leeds at any point you can give mine a whirl make your mind up as to if you wnat to spend xx on a higher priced unit as i bought it before i realised the sf only does ssm Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will probably take you up on that offer at some point mate :)

I do like the sound of http://www.scantool-...rface-57-p.html
those though. Seems to be highly rated too around the tinterwebs.

I've read reports of the cheaper BT units causing laggy displays have you not experienced anything such like I.e with slow looking boost gauge etc?
This is all very exciting to me lol, I'm not the biggest tech head out there so this whole concept seems uber uber cool to me lol. It's definitely on my to do list :)

#42 stants

stants

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

I only really use it clearing fault codes on other people's cars at work as useless to mine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#43 dnok

dnok

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

Lol, nice little side earner :)
Only jokin bud

#44 chooch

chooch

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

Do you know how much a new STI TMIC and any good retailer, can't be that much more than the used units???

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

#45 BansteadStig

BansteadStig

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

Had a look at those Torque apps last night, even the free one looks quite good. I'll be investing in a £4.50 bluetooth ODB2 dongle today to see if I can get the app working in my car, as I already have this mounted in my dashboard currently streaming Spotify to my head unit. :)

IMAG0210_zpsulzm6so4.jpg

I'm not sure the dongle will work with the FSTi. They're a bit temperamental with JDM cars/SSM to my knowledge.

Got to be worth £4.50 to find out though.

#46 Blastertrev

Blastertrev
  • LocationSunny Cumbria (NOT)

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure the dongle will work with the FSTi. They're a bit temperamental with JDM cars/SSM to my knowledge.
Got to be worth £4.50 to find out though.

To encourage you Gareth, I noticed that when I ran FreeSSM on my FSTi last weekend to my suprise it came up with the OBD-2 compliant box ticked, so it may just work.

May the Foz be with you....

#47 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Yep, I'm not 100% sure it will work either. The FSTI is ODB2 compliant, but not for all functions like UK cars. I have an ODB2 fault code reader tool and it works 100% with my Impreza and reads all the live data etc so I can trend while driving. I plugged it into the Forester and although it reads the codes and resets the codes fine it won't see the live data streams. I suspect the same applies to the cheap eBay Bluetooth tool as I've just tried it with the free app and it doesn't seem to work yet. Will have a longer play later to see if I can get some communication going and data streamed correctly.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#48 dnok

dnok

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for the update bud, let us know how you get on :)

#49 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

Well, I'm very pleased to say that the super cheap ELM327 eBay special £4.50 bluetooth ODB2 dongle works very well indeed. Good connection to the free app, no drop outs at all and good speed.

The Bluetooth unit works perfectly with my MY06 Impreza and can read air intake temps, boost pressure, throttle position, speed, etc etc (The whole lot) just perfectly. Will also read and clear fault codes from the ECU just fine. Such a great tool for the price seeing as I paid nearly £100 for my current fault code reader. lol.

HOWEVER...... Although it does plug into my 2004 SG9 forester, it powers and you can use it to read and clear faults, it will NOT stream the live data like the later cars can. Poop. I thought this was the case as my other fault code reader also fails to read live data from the older ECU. So it won't work with all the sexy dials in the app to display all the bits I want in my Forester. Such a shame. It may well work with the facelift 2005 onwards model as it may have a later updated ECU than mine?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Otherwise, for the money I'm amazed it works as well as it does.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users