Photo

Which tmic?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 stants

stants

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

Try www.viper performance.co.uk good quality service is spot on and the prices are competitive, I'd guess you'd get more weight with cast/silicone than just silicone,
Removal &installation the cooler with the stock plastic has to be the worst job

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#22 BansteadStig

BansteadStig

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

Bit late to this one.

The FSTi TMIC is basically the same size as the WRX one, so not as big as the ISTi one.

#23 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

Thanks

#24 dnok

dnok

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

Try www.viper performance.co.uk good quality service is spot on and the prices are competitive, I'd guess you'd get more weight with cast/silicone than just silicone, Removal &installation the cooler with the stock plastic has to be the worst job Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok now I'm into more questions lol.
So now I'm wondering if the metal parts of the y pipe on my y pipe will match up the newer intercooler?
Next, which silicone y pipe kit would I buy? One to match my car? Or one to match the intercooler?

#25 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Didn't even get close to opening a bonnet this weekend sorry dnok.

You would need to buy the silicone Y pipe kit to match the intercooler rather than the car I would guess.

When I upgraded my Impreza WRX to the Impreza STI top mount I did quite a bit of research and ended up saving myself a small fortune. I measured everything and worked out which individual pipes I needed rather than the kit. Narrowed it down to a short straight pipe and a 90deg right angle pipe. I'll try to locate the part numbers but both are too long for the application so can be trimmed until just perfect fit.

The front pipe is 70mm internal diameter and Samco silicone hose number SCH70 fitted perfectly.

The turbo r/a pipe is 51mm internal diameter and Samco silicone hose number E90 51 fitted perfectly.

Both have been fitted to a TD04 and VF48 on my hawk Impreza perfectly and both used for 6 years and 40k miles now without issue.

Good luck!

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#26 dnok

dnok

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

Thanks mate :) very helpful

#27 dnok

dnok

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

Ok I've put a pause on buyin that tmic off the 08 sti. Feel like a right knob for messing the lad around but it's the y pipe issue. I've appologised and explained my thoughts and concerns I just hope I've not left him too frustrated.

Basically the tmic doesn't come with the y pipe. If it had been a newage intercooler then I could of just bought something like this http://www.ebay.co.u...tm/282045155947 but it isn't and I can't find a kit like that for an 08 anywhere. I have no idea if the metal ends of my xt y pipe would bolt up to the 08 intercooler, as in physically same size, bolt pattern etc. then I'm not sure on what silicone y pipe I'd need to connect them together.

I love the idea of that sti 330 intercooler and the price was great, if I miss out on it I'll be gutted but I need to answer these questions before I commit. It's not been done or documented anywhere that I can see.

Frustrated

#28 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

What kind of power are you after with the car when it's done? Just wondering if you actually need an STI intercooler or not to be honest. I was always told the the later WRX intercoolers were very capable units indeed. The Impreza Hawkeye WRX unit was certainly capable of 300bhp. My old Hawkeye intercooler looks very similar to the unit in your pictures with the plastic sides. You would need to upgrade your silicone pipes for the increased boost, but you may find your intercooler is just fine.

Failing that I still have my old Hawkeye WRX intercooler and scoop undertray you could try fit?

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#29 dnok

dnok

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

320 is the figure quoted for the setup I'm going for.
Vf34 turbo, 255 fuel pump, remap, 3 port solanoid, bell mouth downpipe decat or sports cat only, decat up pipe etc etc. the sti intercooler was advised but I can't see me tracking the car and yes I do like to hoon about a bit but there's nowhere on the roads you can be flat out for long without killing yourself or someone else or getting banned lol so I'm wondering the same thing mate.

I'm eighty percent certain that the wrx and xt intercoolers are the same? Although maybe I've read that regarding the 05+ xt? Not sure. It would certainly make things easier just buying the y pipe kit in the eBay link I put in the post above and using my original top mount that's for sure. :)

#30 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

If you're going for that kind of level it may be better to upgrade the TMIC eventually. You could always get a cheap temperature monotir & sensor and just keep an eye on th einlet charge temperature with the current TMIC once tuned. Plenty of data out there on temperatures to be expected and if things look too high then consider upgrading to STI cooler (and scoop undertray).

How much are the Y pipe kits?

You should be able to get a newage Impreza STI intercooler for around £100 plus under tray for another £20-30 on top. This normally comes with boost pipes that will fit your turbo. You will need to fabricate something up to fit the under tray into the forester scoop and maybe modify the intercooler brackets, but can't see that being too bad.

#31 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

I take that back, just had a quick look on fleabay at STI TMIC's and can't believe what price they are going for now. Seems to be around the £200 mark now for an Impreza STI unit. Eek.

#32 dnok

dnok

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

The y pipes with cast pipe and silicone joiners are between £30 & £50 ish so not expensive.
I may just do that to be honest and see how it runs. As for the prices of the sti tmic's that doesn't really worry me. I know a guy who usually has stuff like that passing his way so at some point I'll probs get chance of one at reasonable money and if not I'll just pay up the £200. If the car shows to need it I really don't mind. Could probably recuperate most of the cost by selling on the y pipe that would come with the sti intercooler (provided I'd already previously bought the y pipe kit mentioned above) and my original xt intercooler.

At the end of the day if the car proves to need it I'll just have to buy it lol :)

#33 dnok

dnok

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

As for inlet temps I plan on doing the nexus 7 into the gauge pod mount in the top box on dash and using the torque app so that shouldn't be a problem :) seen it the other day I was well impressed lol. Beats the usual 3 gauge pod hands down. Looks factory standard :)

#34 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Had a look at those Torque apps last night, even the free one looks quite good. I'll be investing in a £4.50 bluetooth ODB2 dongle today to see if I can get the app working in my car, as I already have this mounted in my dashboard currently streaming Spotify to my head unit. :)

IMAG0210_zpsulzm6so4.jpg

#35 dnok

dnok

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

What unit is that you have there? Looks smart there. Check this out http://forums.mighty...our-SG-Forester found great write up on the top pod install. Looks really cool I have to have it lol.

£4.50 Bluetooth device????? Will that work? Or be any good? I was going to go for this http://scoobyworld.c...roducts_id=2154 as it promises to be fastest / best blah blah blah but fair bit of price difference lol

#36 dnok

dnok

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

One thing I really liked about the torque app was how the view could be set up to match the oem look and colour scheme. In the dark all the gauges in the app and the cars instrument panel looked the same it really made for a factory finish look

#37 chooch

chooch

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

Great discussion, I was looking for an STI intercooler too, but can't believe that people are charging so much for a used part. I am thinking that it might be better to go down the new route, rather than get a cooler with bent fins, and coated in oil and goodness knows what else... I also heard the standard coolers are good for moderate power upgrades. But doesn't have much of a wow factor...

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

#38 dnok

dnok

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

Great discussion, I was looking for an STI intercooler too, but can't believe that people are charging so much for a used part. I am thinking that it might be better to go down the new route, rather than get a cooler with bent fins, and coated in oil and goodness knows what else... I also heard the standard coolers are good for moderate power upgrades. But doesn't have much of a wow factor...Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

True fella. If your spending £200 on an old sti unit then could always stump up a little more cash and go aftermarket :)

#39 stants

stants

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

Cheap dongles from the bay work fine mate,
If your in leeds at any point you can give mine a whirl make your mind up as to if you wnat to spend xx on a higher priced unit
as i bought it before i realised the sf only does ssm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#40 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

The STI top mount intercooler is very good indeed and flows very well in various tests that have been done. Not all aftermarket units flow as well as the STI TMIC so beware. You could buy aftermarket thinking you're getting better than a Subaru unit and find it hinders your car. I once had a hyperflow TMIC and they are not cheap, I still ended up selling that in favour of a Spec C STI TMIC eventually. To buy decent quality aftermarket TMIC will cost a lot!

For the price of a second have STI TMIC (£200) you could always look at getting a FMIC setup? The Japspeed units can be purchased complete with all pipes for around that new, yes they are Chinese make, but lots have used them with great success. They will be for Impreza fitment so some mods to pipework will be needed to fit (but not a lot more than fitting to an Impreza to be honest). :)

My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy 3 tablet mounted in my dash and it's now connected to my main satnav head unit for streaming spotify. Works a treat. I did purchase the £4.50 Fleabay special Bluetooth dongle yesterday so will see if it works!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users