Which tmic?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:25 PM

Ok trying to do some shopping for a bigger tmic. Problem is I keep seeing people saying you want an sti tmic. Sti as in forester or impreza ones too? If so what years fit? I've seen in said that new age wrx ones don't fit? So got me wondering if I'm looking for certain MY years of sti tmic to fit? Confused lol. There a few about at moment so I'd love to know before I buy.
Thanks

#2 stants

stants

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

I do like multi forum chats 😂 as far as I'm aware if you have time and patience you can get just about any new age sti top mount to fit, possibly need the cooler brackets and undertray & scoop from the donor, some swaps have involved chopping down the brake fluid res.

For ease I'd just look for the same year sti cooler Should be a more straightforward affair

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#3 dnok

dnok

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

Lol, well I like to try keep the traffic flowing here. And it's good to have some solid info on the site :)

Cheers pal. Yeah much prefer to keep things simple if possible. So when you say same year sti intercooler you mean same year forester sti? Or impreza as well? Just to be clear :)

#4 stants

stants

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Impreza ones

#5 dnok

dnok

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

Ah we'll that's a bonus, more of them about I'd imagine. Cheers bud :)

#6 stants

stants

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Someone on another site i'm on has one http://uk.subaruowne...pic/18426-2008-

#7 dnok

dnok

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Holy sh1t! My hero lol. Well the price is great and it's about as good as it gets. My only issue now mate is simplicity of fit? Is this going to be one of those jobs that looks great at first but ends up being a nightmare lol.

Will it fit in place without hitting anything else? Will I be able to get a splitter that matches my scoop and that intercooler? Questions questions lol.

I'm dying to just buy it but I need to know I can make it work I can't take anymore disappointments in life at the moment lmao

#8 stants

stants

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Haha I'm not sure mate, I'll investigate a bit.

What's your engine bay look like compared to older models ?

#9 dnok

dnok

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Cheers pal. I'm on my phone as the computer broke :( and taps talk always mugs me off when I try to upload but if you could look in my gallery at the sg album I have a couple of intercooler / engine bay pics in there from when I retro fitted the front strut brace.
You'd save me a whole load of heartache trying to link to all the pics using my sh1ty iPhone 4 lol

#10 stants

stants

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

Side by Side the sti one looks slightly shorter? Maybe an illusion?
Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1463512103907.jpg   66.85KB   3 downloads

Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1463512113583.jpg   97.18KB   3 downloads

Deffo deeper and not too sure about the thickness but there's not going to be much underneath ?

#11 dnok

dnok

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

You know what, if you use the closest to camera part of the inlet manifold and the bolt/mounting point that's on it on the right and line that up with the ends of the intercooler I'd say they are the same length. Or near as damn it anyway.
Exciting :)

So let's say they are the same length so my skirt (ooo er misus) that sits under my bonnet scoop and onto the intercooler wen the bonnet is closed (trying to be as specific as possible here lol) sits onto the sti intercooler perfectly length ways. Obviously it won't cover the sti intercoolers full depth properly. Would that even be an issue do we think? Or would there be enough air flow over the majority of it's area for it not to be a problem?

Or do I need to get creative?

Cheers for your help mate. I replied to the guys thread on that forum but he not got back to me as yet. I asked him if it comes with a recirc valve or blow of valve. I'm guessing maybe not but if it doesn't would mine fit that newer 08 intercooler?? Or am I looking at more penny's to buy one that'll fit.

Still tho seems like a good price to be fair :) hope he doesn't bloody sell it before he see my reply lol

#12 stants

stants

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

Thats what I thought although can't see the mounting bracket on yours,
No idea about the recirculation valve as it's not the type I have on mine, I think he's stuck it on his new one,
As for the skirt they do stretch a bit so could be adapted but again wouldn't like to say for definite,

#13 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

I suspect the FSTI and Impreza STI intercoolers are very similar indeed. I can try have a measure up on both of mine at the weekend to check. sizes. They can't be far different.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#14 dnok

dnok

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:31 AM

I suspect the FSTI and Impreza STI intercoolers are very similar indeed. I can try have a measure up on both of mine at the weekend to check. sizes. They can't be far different.

If you have the time and are willing that might help, thank you.

Agreed a good price on that sti 330 tmic, too good to pass up, so just keeping my fingers crossed I can make it work now.

It doesn't come with the recirc valve so hoping mine will fit. Do the standard recirc valve have limitations? Will it be ok over 300bhp? Or should I be looking at an aftermarket one? I've heard blow of valves can be a nightmare on Subaru engines. Must admit a hks ssqv 4 does sound nice. But I've read a forge set to full recirc is best option. Anybody know?

#15 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

Always willing, but never have enough time! lol. I'm not about much this weekend but will try lift both bonnets and have a measure up.

The standard Subaru recirculating newage dump valve is very good indeed. Very reliable and holds boost well. My Impreza is running 334bhp & 381lb/ft and has done so for years now.

That said, I did have an HKS SSQV fitted to my Impreza for years and I loved it! If you're interested I took it off the other day and put my Impreza back to standard so my genuine HKS SSQV and blanking plug will be up for sale if you wanted it?

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#16 stants

stants

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

The gfb products are supposed to be pretty good, some of them have an option to open and close the valve so you can have full re circ or via depending on how your mood takes you

#17 dnok

dnok

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

The gfb products are supposed to be pretty good, some of them have an option to open and close the valve so you can have full re circ or via depending on how your mood takes you Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what drew my attention to the forge units. :)

#18 dnok

dnok

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

Always willing, but never have enough time! lol. I'm not about much this weekend but will try lift both bonnets and have a measure up.

The standard Subaru recirculating newage dump valve is very good indeed. Very reliable and holds boost well. My Impreza is running 334bhp & 381lb/ft and has done so for years now.

That said, I did have an HKS SSQV fitted to my Impreza for years and I loved it! If you're interested I took it off the other day and put my Impreza back to standard so my genuine HKS SSQV and blanking plug will be up for sale if you wanted it?

Cheers mate :)

And will you stop tempting me with great deals lol. Strong interest in that I'll have a think
:)

#19 stants

stants

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Ah I've not really looked that far into them, with having a really circ in the elbow instead of on the cooler,
I'd get a nice silicone y pipe though make removal/ instalation sooo much easier

#20 dnok

dnok

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

Ah I've not really looked that far into them, with having a really circ in the elbow instead of on the cooler, I'd get a nice silicone y pipe though make removal/ instalation sooo much easier Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

silicone y pipe rather than a cast one? Seen cast ones on eBay as a kit for like £30 or something like that. I know the plastic ones are sh1t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users