• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 stants

stants

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

Everything cheaper ooop north stig.
And we have proper tea 😂
My local only charges around that for rates too 🖒

If you did have a go yourself dnok you only need one tool to lock the cams, the other side stays in place.

Have you looked at impreza rads of the same year ? Mines the same fitting as a classic of the same year,
I know they changed the foz rads to a different shape at some point but I can't see them being any different to a leggy or impreza wouldn't make much sense

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#22 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

£35 an hour is unbelievably cheap compared to South East prices.
I think I live in the wrong area. Pretty sure my salary isn't augmented that much living round here!

Considering his flawless reputation and near cult following with those who know his prices are nothing short of staggering lol. He's actually cheaper than my local garages and way faster with subarus as they are his daily bread and butter. He's such a good and helpfull bloke too I honestly couldn't recommend him enough. If you own a scoob and live within distance he's definitly (or should be) the go too guy. He's built some staggering scoobs around here. An acquaintance of mine has a 500 and something bhp impreza built by Howard and it just destroys everything and anything lol and so far it's been as reliable as you could want.

#23 dnok

dnok

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

Everything cheaper ooop north stig. And we have proper tea My local only charges around that for rates too If you did have a go yourself dnok you only need one tool to lock the cams, the other side stays in place.Have you looked at impreza rads of the same year ? Mines the same fitting as a classic of the same year, I know they changed the foz rads to a different shape at some point but I can't see them being any different to a leggy or impreza wouldn't make much sense Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've looked at them yeah but not been able to confirm compatability so obviously hesitant to pull the trigger. I know what needs to be done. I need to stop fudging around and get on the phone to Howard no doubt he could answer the radiator question and recommend where to get one.
I'm going to call him Monday and work out a plan and price bracket. Going to run me a few hundred that's for sure but if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right as they say

#24 stockcar

stockcar
  • Locationthe grim north

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Do NOT use the waterless coolant (also known as snake oil........???)

It's only advantage is being able to endure extreme temps BUT your water system is not designed to run at the temps this will cause
A similar result can be achieved by simply using neat anti-freeze concentrate (glycol) and this is not recommended either

None of these solutions are 'coolants' - about the best choice would be plain water but this obviously neither has corrosion or a/freeze capabilities

asperformance  / 0191-4103770

E-shop

MOTUL, EXEDY, FERODO, MILLERS OILS, AP RACING, TRS, PAGID, PERFORMANCE FRICTION, BREMBO, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, POWERFLEX and the list goes on................

#25 dnok

dnok

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Do NOT use the waterless coolant (also known as snake oil........???)
It's only advantage is being able to endure extreme temps BUT your water system is not designed to run at the temps this will cause
A similar result can be achieved by simply using neat anti-freeze concentrate (glycol) and this is not recommended either
None of these solutions are 'coolants' - about the best choice would be plain water but this obviously neither has corrosion or a/freeze capabilities

Thank you for the info :) Appreciate it.

#26 dnok

dnok

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Ok so I'm lazy and stupid and left my tiny radiator leak till it's now a spurt when hot. Getting done this week finally.

Anyway. Noticed today that although I lost a seemingly reasonable amount of fluid that the level in the fill tank isn't going down. This has me worried and paranoid. Opinions please :(

#27 dnok

dnok

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:26 PM

So it was air locked big time :o I filled up the radiator through the header tank and kept topping it up as I ran the engine until it just started to overflow. A little rev of the engine then draws the coolant back down allowing you to quickly replace the tank cap. I then kept it running and squeezed the pipes keeping an eye on the overflow tank. I had a few bubbles at first as the last bits of air left the system but I'm happy to report that the bubbles stopped quickly. No frothing in the tank and no constant little bubbles rising so any head gasket fears have eased thankfully. Heaters work fine etc etc.

Drove the car a bit doing odd chores etc afterwards and just cruised everywhere and happier still I don't loose coolant and all levels stay as they where. I'll get onto the lad tomorrow and get booked in for a new radiator, thermostat and top and bottom hoses ASAP so all being well I'll dodge a bullet. Shoulda done this weeks ago but you live and learn I guess

#28 brownpantsracing

brownpantsracing
  • LocationBucks

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Glad you found the problem mate. Unfortunately radiators are quite common failure points on these cars. They don't last forever and do need replacing at age.

2004 FSTI, Modified 2006 Impreza, 1963 VW beetle. All on the road for once! Woo hoo! :)

#29 dnok

dnok

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

Yeah I wanted to fit an all alloy one but didn't find anything that wasn't £400 plus lol. Pretty sure I could of bought one for an impreza fitment and used that but couldn't 100% confirm that it'd fit so didn't gamble. I haven't just bought the cheapest I could find my local supplier (who supplies a lot for Howard at HDC) got me the radiator with the promise of them being of a decent quality and Howard always uses the same unless the customer wants to upgrade of course so I'm fairly confident it should last me a few years...... I hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users