It's an odd one

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dnok

dnok
  • LocationElland West Yorkshire

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Ok so an hour ago I've not long been in the car but I'd warmed it up. At first start I let it sit for about 1 min and then I drive at under 3k rpm until engine temps are up to normal and I feel like everything should be warmed up such as brakes etc. I'm talking a couple of miles not just a few minutes.
Anyway we good to go as far as I'm aware so on pulling out into a main road I give it the beans through 1st and 2nd. Large grin stretches across my face....... and then gets replaced by the oh sh.it face! Whats that smell? Smells like???? burning oil??? dunno, is it clutch? Nah,,,, is that smoke? Uh oh! Better pull over! So I do. I pop the bonnet and straight away I can see whisps of smoke around the turbo area and can smell a burning oil type of smell. When looking up close I can't tell where it's coming from? Maybe underside of turbo but almost like it's the top of the downpipe and not the turbo? Have some oil seals gone? Is it even the turbo or is something dropping on it? But nothing's above it? Scratching my head I decide the only thing I can possibly do is be on my way and drive like miss daisy.

Now here's the weird bit, few mins in I realise no smell, pull over and look and yup no smoke and no smell??? Eh? Ok this is weird maybe only happens on high boost? Well in my head I've already resigned to the fact I'm gunna have to replace a fubar turbo so let's do this! Give it the beans and get home in double quick time passing some chavy Leon fr on the way lol, bonus. Well? No smoke, no smell, no issues?

Wtf?????? I'm totally blagged? So can anyone explain what might be going on? Only thing I can even think of is that maybe just maybe the turbo wasn't as warmed up as i thought and that it might not have been sealing with the downpipe properly until warmed right up and is maybe burning a little oil at the turbo and then me seeing and smelling this where the slight blow is until it's warmed right up.

Thoughts? Clues? Opinions? I'm stumped

#2 BansteadStig

BansteadStig

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

Does sound like the turbo seals or similar might be passed their best.

The extra heat may well have sealed them up.

Alternatively, could there be a minor leak elsewhere which built up whilst the car sat, then burned off once you got going and isn't leaking enough to mean there's oil to burn once you're moving, I.e. takes time to build up wherever it is coming from?

#3 dnok

dnok

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

Possibly. Tis a bit of a head scratcher.

Oh no does this mean I need to look out for a vf35. Shame........ :) lol

#4 stants

stants

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Cam cover leaking on to the downpipe ? Oil loose oil feed line to the turbo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#5 dnok

dnok

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

Cam cover leaking on to the downpipe ? Oil loose oil feed line to the turbo Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cam cover onto downpipe? Downpipe comes out of back of turbo? Or at least the pipe I'm referring too does lol. I like your thinking of oil line tho bud cheers :)

Was just thinking. It's only happened since I upped the boost so maybe it is just as simple as killing off a worn turbo. Looks like I'll be engine tuning and swapping the turbo sooner rather than later hahaha

#6 stants

stants

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sorry, very hung over ment up pipe :P

#7 dnok

dnok

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

Sorry, very hung over ment up pipe :P Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What side is the up pipe on? Really not familiar with the turbo subarus. Well not engine wise anyway. Really need to find time to have a good poke around and learn the layout of the land so to speak.

#8 stants

stants

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

The turbo side, have a poke around by the air box, if you shine a torch down to the right hand side of it you'll see the up pipe beneath the engine and coming up to meet the bottom of the turbo, the rocker covers weap and drip down, pooling on top of the pipe

#9 dnok

dnok

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Cheers mate :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users